Senior Services’ activities are designed to promote a holistic approach to healthy living while aging. Through participation in these activities, senior citizens are actively involved in the wellness process, becoming aware of and making choices toward a more successful existence.
In the 2013-14 Program Year, GSCS served more than 230 senior citizens and received re-accreditation by the National Council on Aging's National Institute of Senior Centers, making it the only accredited Senior Center in South Texas.
This accreditation recognizes that GSCS provides activities that foster personal growth across six dimensions of wellness including:
1. Occupational Wellness: ESL Classes, Volunteer Opportunities
2. Physical Wellness: Hot, Nutritious Lunches (M-F), Health Screenings in partnership with UT Health Science Center, Cooking Demonstrations, Walking Club, Dance, Tai Chi, Zumba
3. Social Wellness: Intergenerational Activities, Field Trips, Table Games (dominoes, cards, bingo)
4. Intellectual Wellness: Financial Literacy Classes, Arts & Crafts, Book Club, Guitar Lessons, Quilting
5. Spiritual Wellness: Bible Study, Yoga
6. Emotional Wellness: Individual Counseling, Senior Citizen Specific Support Groups
For more information about the Senior Center, please call 210-434-5531.